Within the time it takes your oven to preheat, you’ll have the dough whipped up for old school Oatmeal Cookies. Chewy facilities, a kiss of cinnamon, and all the most effective mix-ins make these the most effective oatmeal cookies once you’re craving a basic.
Wholesome Oatmeal Cookies are one of many all-time fan-favorite recipes on the weblog, with tons of and tons of of raving feedback.
For right this moment, we’re pulling down the “wholesome” a bit and making real-deal, basic oatmeal cookies like grandma would have baked.
- That is the proper recipe for oatmeal cookies: chewy but tender, just-right quantity of candy, with heat taste and homey texture.
- Cookie cravers take observe: These straightforward oatmeal cookies are prepared in a hurry.
About these Simple Oatmeal Cookies
Some days, we would like baking cookies to be a undertaking that takes up a comfortable afternoon (like once you’re making cut-out sugar cookies).
More often than not, nonetheless, the earlier I will be consuming a cookie, the higher.
That’s why I really like these straightforward oatmeal cookies!
- No dough-chilling is required.
- The recipe makes use of melted butter reasonably than softened. I by no means appear to recollect to let mine sit out and soften, and this recipe avoids all of it collectively!
- No stand mixer or hand mixer. A bowl and spoon is all you want!
You possibly can simply be consuming these chewy, tender oatmeal cookies half-hour from now.
Go for it!
The right way to Make the Greatest Do-it-yourself Oatmeal Cookies
Step proper this fashion for the BEST oatmeal cookie, with choices and concepts for mix-ins.
- The components are pure and easy.
- They’re candy (that is undoubtedly a dessert cookie, not a breakfast cookie), however they aren’t cloying.
- You possibly can actually style the oats, butter, and the caramelized notes of brown sugar (and isn’t that the purpose?!).
I received’t even let you know whether or not they’re finest with raisins or not—I’ll allow you to and your pals duke that out.
Chances are you’ll have to eat a number of to succeed in a choice.
- Butter. As a basic cookie ought to, these oatmeal cookies do name for butter.
- Nuts. Chopped pecans or walnuts add a stunning crunch and nuttiness.
Toast your nuts! If you’re going to add nuts, please take the additional step to toast them first. It makes all of the distinction. You possibly can toast nuts within the oven at 350 levels F for 8 minutes (watch intently; they burn quick!)
- Spices. Cinnamon and nutmeg make the oatmeal cookie heat and homey.
- Brown Sugar. Brown sugar reasonably than white granulated sugar can be important to the basic oatmeal cookie heat.
- Eggs. One egg, plus one egg yolk for added richness.
Each skilled baker will let you know, and it’s true: use room temperature eggs. This helps the eggs combine correctly with the butter and ship a uniform texture.
- Vanilla. I go for pure vanilla extract, a grocery retailer splurge that makes a giant distinction in baking.
- Oats. Two entire cups of rolled oats (additionally referred to as quaint oats), our cookie’s namesake.
What sort of oats are finest for oatmeal cookies?
Rolled oats are finest for oatmeal cookies, as they maintain their construction and provides the cookie its inherent chewy texture. Fast oats are extra pulverized than rolled oats, so the oats within the cookies wouldn’t be as pronounced.
- Combine-Ins. Raisins or no-raisins in oatmeal cookies is a divided camp, I do know. Let’s make cookies, not struggle, and all select our personal favourite: raisins, no raisins, chocolate chips, or a mixture! Extra mix-in concepts under!
- Soften butter and let it come to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry components.
- Add brown sugar, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla to butter. Whisk.
- Pour moist components into the dry components. Stir to mix.
- Stir within the oats and mix-ins.
- Scoop cookie dough and place on ready baking sheets one inch aside.
- Bake oatmeal cookies at 350 levels F for 10 minutes. Let relaxation on the baking sheet for five minutes, then switch to wire rack to chill. ENJOY!
Oatmeal Cookie Combine-In Concepts
Chopped pecans and chocolate chips are my favourite oatmeal cookie mix-ins, however you may play with another enjoyable additions and make your personal variations:
- Flavored Chips. White chocolate chips, cinnamon chips, peanut butter chips
- Dried fruit. Cherries, cranberries, shredded coconut
- Sweet. M&Ms, toffee bits
- Different chopped nuts. Cashews, pistachios
Extra Yummy Oatmeal Cookie Recipes
The not-too-sweet style of oatmeal cookies makes devouring a number of not sugar-coma inducing, and you are feeling a bit of bit wholesome realizing “hey, oats are a nutritious entire grain.”
Listed below are much more oatmeal cookie recipes to discover:
- To Retailer. Retailer leftover oatmeal cookies at room temperature in an hermetic container for as much as 1 week (as if they are going to final that lengthy!).
- To Freeze. Place baked cookies in an hermetic, freezer-safe container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge, then switch to room temperature.
You possibly can portion and freeze cookie dough and have freshly-baked cookies on demand!
- After making your dough, scoop into balls and lay on a cookie sheet.
- Freeze for 10 minutes so the balls don’t stick collectively.
- Switch to an hermetic, freezer-safe container and hold within the freezer.
- Dough balls will be cooked straight from frozen; simply add a couple of minutes to the called-for baking time. For finest outcomes, use frozen dough inside 3 months.
Meal Prep Tip
Preserve ready cookie dough within the fridge for as much as 4 days previous to baking.
Advisable Instruments to Make Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
- Cookie Scoop. Evenly-formed = evenly-cooked cookies.
- Silpat Mat. This nonstick silicone baking mat will assist your cookies bake evenly and never keep on with the pan. This one is nifty as a result of it has cookie-spacing markings.
- Wire Cooling Rack. Simply in case you to determine to let your cookies cool earlier than devouring them.
Oatmeal cookies are calling. Let’s go!
Continuously Requested Questions
Overmixing could also be a offender of arduous cookies. Additionally watch out to not overbake your cookie; verify them early. They’re executed with the sides simply begin to flip golden brown.
It relies upon upon the recipe. In a super world, it’s at all times finest to sit back cookie dough, as a result of it helps cookies to not overspread whereas baking and makes for optimum texture as a result of the moist and dry components have extra time to include. For this particular recipe, when you embrace nuts, you don’t want to sit back your oatmeal cookie dough earlier than baking, because the nuts maintain the dough collectively and hold it from overspreading.
Sure! Rolled oats are literally what I like to recommend and like in my conventional oatmeal cookies as a result of the oats are extra entire, including extra to the feel and oaty taste of the cookie.
As a common rule, you may substitute fast oats for old school rolled oats in cookies and different baking recipes. Notice that as a result of fast oats are extra damaged down, your outcomes won’t be as hearty or chewy. Don’t substitute prompt oatmeal (which is tremendous pulverized and received’t maintain collectively) or metal lower oats, that are too arduous and received’t soften sufficient throughout baking.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts optionally available*
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon floor cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon floor nutmeg optionally available
- 3/4 cup packed gentle brown sugar
- 1 giant egg at room temperature
- 1 giant egg yolk at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup raisins or chocolate chips or a combination (see extra concepts above)
In a medium bowl, soften the butter and let come to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350 levels F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Unfold the pecans in a single layer on a separate baking sheet. Roast within the oven till aromatic and toasted, about 8 minutes. Put aside to chill.
In a big bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
To the bowl with the melted butter, add the brown sugar, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Whisk briskly till nicely mixed.
Pour the moist components right into a bowl with the dry components. With a rubber spatula or wood spoon, stir to mix.
Stir within the oats, raisins, and walnuts. In case your dough is just too tender to scoop, refrigerate it for 20 to half-hour (or for optimum texture refrigerate a couple of hours. That stated you may proceed straight away and nonetheless have actually scrumptious cookies!).
With a cookie scoop or spoon, portion the dough by 1 1/2-tablespoonfuls and roll right into a ball (the balls will probably be about 1 1/2 inches broad and you’ll have about 22 cookies). If the dough sticks to your arms, very evenly moisten them with water. Place the balls on the parchment-lined cookie sheet, leaving an inch of area between them. Refrigerate the bowl with any unscooped cookie dough till you might be prepared to complete the next batches
Bake oatmeal cookies for 10 minutes, till they’re golden on the highest and edges, however nonetheless look underdone within the heart. Let relaxation on the baking sheet for five minutes, then switch to a rack to chill utterly (or for so long as you may stand). Repeat with remaining cookie dough, making certain that you just let the baking sheet cool utterly between batches or the cookies will unfold.
- TO STORE: Retailer leftover oatmeal cookies at room temperature in an hermetic container for as much as 1 week.
- TO FREEZE: Place baked cookies in an hermetic, freezer-safe container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge, then switch to room temperature.
Serving: 1cookieEnergy: 148kcalCarbohydrates: 20gProtein: 2gFats: 7gSaturated Fats: 3gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 2gTrans Fats: 0.2gLdl cholesterol: 28mgPotassium: 99mgFiber: 1gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 154IUVitamin C: 0.3mgCalcium: 19mgIron: 1mg
Be a part of right this moment and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite recipes and entry FREE meal plans.